Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,870
Re: No wonder Sony did not bother...

Johann Kruger wrote:

HFLM wrote:

MILC man wrote:

tqlla wrote:

Who cares about what Nikon is doing?

the o.p. opened that door when he brought up canikon in the first post to this thread.

it's also necessary to make certain posters understand how much better sony is with legacy compatibility.

They have made a lot of missteps and its showing. Is that the example you want Sony to follow?

Without competition, Sony has been in a position of strength, so they could afford to care less about their customers. But with Canon gearing up, Sony should value the customers they have been ignoring.

once again, we'll point out that constantly crying about a-mount has nothing to do with eos-r, or d6/1dxmk3.

and as the o.p. already stated: "I cant blame sony for just doing small updates on it as they probably knew the 1x3/d6 would barely be a upgrade to the previous version of those cameras(which the original A9 already blew away)"

that is a factual statement of truth, nobody is going to be leaving the a9 for the d6/1dxmk3; it's so primitive that canikon couldn't even increase the size of the af area on those dslrs.

people who actually own the a9 understand that.

Using Sony only, the A9 since introduction, for example, this statement is a bit too much. I know the 1dx2 and D5 well, too. I think the A9 to be better than the Canon and on par with the D5 in general. The statement "blew away" is ridiculous, to be honest and to be very case specific.

it is case specific in that these cameras are largely targeted at sports shooters, where the a9 excels over dslrs, as a number of experienced dslr sports shooters have indicated by switching to the a9.

features like a consistent 15-20fps are a huge advantage for sports, as opposed to d5/1dxmk2 barely being able to do 10fps in real-world use, with old focus motor designs.

photogs don't need 15-20fps for shooting weddings and other types of events.

The a9ii is now partly addressing some issues regarding mechanical shutter, which really isn't a strength in the a9.

It is too early to dismiss the 1dx3 and D6 performance. The 1dx3 now is a hybrid camera which looks very impressive. DPAF is further improved and you get super high sensitivity and fantastic tracking at 20fps in LV + 16fps in mechanical with flicker detection.

1dxmk3 does not have a stacked sensor, so electronic shutter performance would probably be comparable to a7riv, aka not usable for sports... I suspect that it's why polin used the mechanical shutter in his demo.

I claim, even as a Sony shooter, that this camera is so good that no Canon sports photographer already invested needs to switch anymore. (in addition you can use it as a hybrid shooter with video). The only advantage I see right now with the a9 is the stacked sensor + silent shooting through the EVF, since when watching the video of J. Polin of the Canon tracking basketball at 20fps in LV I couldn't see blackout either.

the video shows it locking on to the basketball, the cheerleader pom-pom, spectators in the background, etc.

I imagine that canon will tune it up tho.

not sure why the video doesn't show the mechanical shutter blackout, maybe because like all video it's recorded at 1/60th or similar?

the bigger problem for canon is that they never had to target 20fps with any lens, so how many of their dslr lenses can actually deliver 15-20fps af-c? with the a9 afaik, no one has ever exceeded 15fps af-c with any adapted dslr lens, it's generally slower than that.

sony developed 15-20fps lenses from the start, canikon doesn't have that, which I think will prove to be a huge limitation for the 1dxmk3: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/ilc/products/ilce9/continuousshooting/en/index.html?id=spt

polin didn't actually measure the fps he was shooting at, it would have required looking at exif data for dozens of photos.

15-20fps won't matter for event shooting.

Sony has to become more aggressive again. Others are keeping up. Panasonic and Canon are pushing hard with video and Canon seems now at a stage where DPAF is competitive with Sony PDAF. They have great lenses, too. I didn't expect Canon to do that well, to be honest. I am not so sure about Nikon. The D6 was no hybrid body and the Z7/Z6 are fantastic for landscape but not developing their own sensors I doubt them to leap-frog Sony anytime soon. I could be wrong, though.

all Nikon has to do is buy a stacked sensor from sony, but it'll be for their sports milc body... canon already did that for their latest 1" compact, but they made it cdaf-only, for some bizzare reason... Nikon won't make that mistake.

From our experiences the Canon DSLR acquires American Football players faster than Sony A9, but once acquired the Sony A9 images are crisper and sharper than Canon DSLR due to mechanical IBIS.

it's due to more accurate af; at sports shutter speeds of 1/800th or more, you don't need stabilization that often, I turn it off entirely for sports.

a lot of people on the football field use a monopod, sometimes with a flash mounted down low.

So with A9 we have to anticipate the action and press the shutter button sooner than with Canon DSLRs.

agree with that.

Overall we understand from our colleagues that as companies, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, etc. are technically equal, on par, and coexist with each other.

in terms of p.q., yes.

but none of those companies have stacked sensors for milc, and a proven stable of 15-20fps lenses, they are at a significant disadvantage for sports shooting.

For business reasons, Sony decided years ago to invest in MILC. While the others decided to invest less in MILCs perhaps delaying R&D due to the dramatic rise and dominance of smart phones.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow