Never-ending upgrades launched onto the market versus your will to say enough!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jay Anson Junior Member • Posts: 31
Never-ending upgrades launched onto the market versus your will to say enough!

I’ve been thinking about my photography life as a hobbyist and this post is a follow on to a recent post I wrote about gear acquisition for the sake of it.

I consider myself reasonably sane for the most part but when a piece of kit arrives on the market that catches my eye, and lets face it, in todays market we are spoilt for choice at any budget, I find it difficult to ignore said item until, a) I’ve bought it, b) I’ve spent the budget on something else, perhaps not gear acquisition but other everyday expenses, or c) I’ve managed to regain my sanity and stopped myself from buying the thing through reasoning with myself, ie; I don’t need a new camera when the one I have will work for me in most circumstances.

Throughout the past few months I’d decided ‘I needed’ the Canon M6 II. I wont go over the reasons again as I did bang on quite a bit about them in my other post regarding that camera, but nonetheless I had finally put enough money away to get the camera this week. And I had second thoughts about going ahead and buying it. Because I know I don’t need two cameras, regardless of all the reasons I’d used to convince myself I did need a lighter kit when the M6 II launched.

So here we are, still one camera and a couple of lenses in my existing kit, no new gear acquisition and all the bit richer for it.

The whole episode left me feeling a little off kilter after realising I’d been clamouring for something I never really needed and I wondered if any members, who else better to ask then a camera forum, had these impulses to buy things you don’t really need and if so, do you end up stopping yourself somehow, give in and feed the GAS, or think we've all been brainwashed into buying new gear in a never ending loop of incremental upgrades and do your best to step off the merry-go-round?

*I've just realised how similar this post is to a recent one I did and tried to withdraw it, but I wasn't able for X forum policy reason.

Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow