UWA lens, fisheye an option?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kim Are Gabrielsen Forum Member • Posts: 89
UWA lens, fisheye an option?

I'm coming from Nikon DX and have used Sigma 10-20 as my UWA lens. The most frequent focal length used are 10mm. Mostly used for architecture and landscapes, but I'll try my luck with astrophotography with this and the a7r3

Due to infrequent use I'm not prepared to pay for a the native Sony 16-35mm. I've already bought a Sigma MC11 so a EOS lens could be an option. I might be willing to stretch to $500 if I'm convinced it's the the one I need.

There are several rectilinear options especially if I get a EOS lens.

I've read through Philips Reeves and Marc Alhadeffs reviews.

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/user-guide-ultra-wideangle-lenses-sony-alpha-7-series/

https://sonyalpha.blog/2019/11/10/which-lenses-to-maximise-the-potential-of-the-sony-a7riv/

Due to 10mm was most used on DX I'm mostly looking at 15mm-ish lenses.

14mm Samyang is an option if I find a sharp copy. But build quality, size and the lottery puts me a bit off.

15mm Laowa f/2 seems nice, but I'm not prepared to pay the price. And ideally I would have preferred it to be smaller.

18mm Samyang have a nice size, but again build quality and sample varians puts me off.

20mm Tamron maybe but I would prefer wider or faster. Tokina 20mm is faster but I'm not prepared to pay the price.

Does anybody use fisheye as their UWA lens?

Fisheye options:

12mm Samyang I've mentioned my reservations towards this brand.

11mm TTartisan seem to get good reviews, but don't have exif info from what I've read. Not a deal breaker. A relatively new option.

I could get a Canon 15mm fisheye for $250, could any of the mentioned match this? Are the any other EOS alternatives you suggest I should look at?

Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow