Buying A7rii: 35mm 1.8 + 55mm 1.8 OR 24mm 1.4 + 50mm 1.8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Och Elo Regular Member • Posts: 249
Buying A7rii: 35mm 1.8 + 55mm 1.8 OR 24mm 1.4 + 50mm 1.8

So I've briefly used all the equipment I'm going to mention.  I'm planning on picking up an A7rii.  I'm thinking of a 2-prime lens setup and emphasizing solid IQ along with compactness.  I don't want a lens bigger than the 24mm 1.4.

For budgetary reasons I'm considering one of the 2-lens setups in the title.

The 35mm 1.8 + 55mm 1.8: 35mm is definitely my personally most used/favorite focal length. Maybe I tried a really good copy of the 35mm, but I found the overall sharpness, contrast, rendering etc to not be too far off/different from the terrific 24mm.  I know to some pairing a 55mm is going to be very odd/close, but I don't really use anything longer than 50ish very much (like an 85mm prime).  And I like that 55mm does give me a tad more spacing from the 35mm, and the A7rii's cropping ability means I can use it as a defacto 82mm lens in APS-C mode if I want to.

24mm 1.4  + 50mm 1.8 : I probably do use 35mm more than 24mm.  But the 24mm 1.4 is a lovely lens, and I can use APS-C mode and essentially get a 36mm 2.1 lens at 17mp.  And there are times I want to go wider than 35mm, but very infrequently do I want/need anything wider than 24mm.  And 24/50 is a more traditional spread, and I found the 50mm 1.8 to be a decent enough if unspectacular lens.  I think this decision would be based more on a more sensible focal length spread, while the above 2 lenses I think gives me 2 lenses that I'm a bit more excited about but doesn't give me as much focal length versatility.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow