Face/Eye detection fails in an obvious, but unexpected way

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Atahualpa Regular Member • Posts: 106
Face/Eye detection fails in an obvious, but unexpected way

I have seen this with the old FW (2.0 and 2.2) and also with the new FW 3.0 and I think you should be able to reproduce this. Test face and eye detection of, in my case, a baby lying in the crib and the camera pointing down. I assume this works with older persons or puppets too when they're e.g. lying in the grass or on a sofa. To reproduce, the subject should lie flat, look up and you should hold your camera in landscape orientation.

First stand on the side of the feet or over the person's hip doing a shoulder portrait and you should be able to confirm that the face and eye is detected correctly. As soon as you move to the side of the left or right arm to take pictures of the whole baby, puppet or face + torso of an older person, face and eye detection fails - not even the face is detected!

At first I found that quite puzzling, even frustrating, because obviously one can recognize the face clearly. Why can't I take pictures of my baby in the crib with eye AF !?

In such a case and being unaware of a potential limitation, one can quickly jump to the conclusion that face/eye detection doesn't work very well. But after some thinking I believe, it's a technical limitation that I was not aware of. Because the camera's orientation remains in landscape all the time it probably looks only for faces symmetric to the vertical axis. But when you stand next to the baby's or person's arm and pointing down to shoot a portrait, their face is actually symmetric to the horizontal axis. Thus, no detection.

I think this may be a rather rare occurence, except of course, if you've just become a mother or father

Atahualpa's gear list:Atahualpa's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow