Fuji 45-100/4 on GFX 100 -- screening

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,217
Fuji 45-100/4 on GFX 100 -- screening

The new Fujifilm 45-100 mm f/4 R LM OIS WR (hereafter yclept the 45-100/4) arrived today. I performed my usual lens screening test.

Here's the scene, at 60 mm. I moved the target as I changed focal lengths. Target distance varied between 28 and 40 meters.

I made the exposures with the following setup:

• The heaviest RRS legs
  • Arca Swiss C1 head
  • Shutter 1/4000, electronic
  • f/4
  • Manual focus with the target at the center for the first shot.
  • Other shots with target at top, bottom,extreme right and left, and the corners
  • Focal length 45, 60 and 100mm
  • 3 sets of shots at each focal length
  • Developed in Lightroom
  • Picked best center shot of each series
  • Sharpening amount 20 radius 1, detail 0 (much less sharpening than the default)
  • Adobe Color profile

I assembled composites in Photoshop.

45 mm

60 mm

100 mm

All are pretty sharp in the center, but softer on-axis at 100 mm. The softest corners are:

• 45 mm: lower right
  • 60 mm: lower left
  • 100 mm: lower left

The tops and sides are pretty sharp. The corners, not so much, but still not bad for a zoom. There is little light falloff off-axis.

It appears that this lens is reasonably well constructed. It is not perfect; I have let to encounter a perfectly-assembled lens from any manufacturer. It is definitely not a lemon, but those three soft corners could be better. I'd be surprised to find people using this lens wide open in situations where ultimate corner sharpness were a priority.

There's a lot more to test, and I will do much more in the days ahead.

jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow