Shots from my Whale Watching in Maui on xf100-400

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cilucia
cilucia Regular Member • Posts: 493
Shots from my Whale Watching in Maui on xf100-400

I am still a beginner with the 100-400 lens (maybe I have taken it out on 5-6 outings so far)? I went on a whale watching tour and just had a handful of keepers (then cropped aggressively). I am not sure how much of it is my lack of experience with the lens and how much had to do with the distance and rocking of the boat.

I found it very challenging to stay at 400mm and still keep my bearings on where a whale would pop up. I probably stayed at around 200mm and tried to zoom in, but that resulted in a lot of missed opportunities as well.

I shot on my XT2 with the battery grip, no filters or TC, on boost mode, AF-C and Zone AF mode. Maybe Wide/Tracking would have been a better bet? I set F8 (looks like it slipped to F9 at some point) and 1/3200 shutter speed, with auto ISO.

Any tips on better settings to try next time? I live in NorCal so I will probably drive down to Monterey in the spring to try on some local whales again Thanks in advance!

This is a baby humpback, the guide said about 2-3 weeks old and about 12 feet long

Baby humpback breaching

Adult

Adult

Adult

-- hide signature --
 cilucia's gear list:cilucia's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow