First print experiences (personal)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 6,565
First print experiences (personal)

Not sure if you want to read this at all, but many here have been very helpful since I started serious printing a couple of weeks ago. So just to let know how that printing goes at the moment.

In short, I can only say that I should have done this many years ago! It seems I have a complete new hobby that fits and completes one of my other hobbies ..photography and shooting images. For the first time I feel I'm the only one that's responsible for the whole process from shooting an image to printing.

And then the printing itself....what an experience! I had and have a lot to learn. But when I see those A2 results on Hahnemühle Fine Art Photo Rag paper....wow...it definitely is all worth it! I' m glad I went for a "pro" printer straight away (coming from a simple all-in-one), and I also like the A2 print size from my Canon Pro-1000.

So far I started with Canons own luster papers / Pro Platinum (A4) , just to get a "feeling" for what this printer does. But, I wasn't t quite prepared for those results on Fine Art Rag paper....absolutely stunning! Completely different world here! I don' t think I' ll ever use luster papers anymore. These Fine Art papers only make me print more, and more. No, not cheap, but so far I don' t care. Maybe I' ll get used to those results, but I' ll enjoy every minute of printing anyway.

Up to today I printed images on A4 first. Just to see how they come out of the printer. Today, for the first time, I skipped the A4 "test page" and went straight for the A2 size. I felt confident about the result..and I was right...again very beautiful.

So far I only use 2 Hahnemühle fine art papers (Photo Rag and Photo Rag Baryta). I prefer the Photo Rag (matte) to the Baryta. Especially the colour prints look "painterly" with deep warm colours and beautiful blacks (I know, maybe not the blackest of blacks, but they' re gorgeous). Ofcourse this taste can change. Just as my taste changes from colour to B/W at the moment. I know there' s a whole world of Fine Art papers out there, and I' ll certainly try some in the future. For now, I stick to these 2.

At the moment I wait for glassine / pergamon paper. Also use the Hahnemühle spray...just in case I think...:-) . I could only find the Hahnemühle archival box as a way of storing my A2 prints. I don' t (yet) frame and those physical prints have to be saved somewhere. Ordered 2.

All in all this printing hobby isn' t cheap by any means, but I' m very glad I started it...worth all those costs and efforts (yes, sometimes frustrating).

Without the help/advice from many of you, I would not have been able to start and learn to print so quickly.

I did it before and I' ll do it again....thank you all for valuable advice ! Much appreciated. Ofcourse there' ll be more hurdles , frustrations and difficulties. But I' m sure I can always come to this forum with my questions. In my experience one of the more friendly and helpful forums on DPR.

Happy printing!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow