Canon’s future RF bodies

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,735
Re: EF-M vs RF crop

rrc1967 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Trapped.... might be the wrong word. Nevertheless, when upgrading from M to RF your M-lenses can't be used on the new camera.

so what?

why on earth would I want to?

Because it can save you some money.

no it can't. it would be completely useless downgrading a 45MP camera to a 17MP camera. Why the hell would I do that instead of using the 32MP native camera? There's no purpose at all to that. you may as well stick with the smaller EOS-M camera if that's the case.

I meant using full frame compatible lenses of course. I agree with you there's no sense in using crop lenses on full frame bodies, although there are others having another opinion on this.

No one in their right mind is going to spend 2K+ into a full frame system and then gimp the living daylights out of it.

Furthermore you can still use your M camera as a backup body for your R while not having to carry extra lenses.

the larger RF lenses would be an ergonomic nightmare on a smaller M.

Yeah, that is you. But you are not everyone. "Nightmare" is in my opinion a complete exaggeration. I use the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, the EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM, and the ef-s 15-85mm f/1.8, and all these lenses fit the M50 very well. No nightmares here.

The sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is becoming less convenient, and so is my (crop lens) sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art. Nevertheless i also use the M50 with the sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 Art. There's a lot of whining about the lack of bright zooms for the M system, however, if you want a bright zoom you shouldn't whine, you should just carry the weight.

Then there's the "balance argument" of folks telling you you should need a bigger and heavier body to "balance" with your bigger lenses. Balance is just a matter of finding the center of gravity, and sometimes can't be found on the body, but in these cases it can be found on the lens. That's why you don't need a 4 Kilograms weighting dslr with the truly big whites.

Not to mention it's not a practical backup because of focal length changes.

So 35mm on full frame is useless because 24mm on crop exists?

So 50mm full frame is useless because 35mm on crop exists?

So 85mm on full frame is useless because 50mm on crop exists?

No. Just a nonsense argument.

Get an RP.

Got the R.

Just face it. they are separate,

I am still using the same lenses on both systems.

and odds are Canon will never create a new APS-C line again.

Canon doesn't need to, as Canon has aps-c lines.

This is such a tired argument, and I should know - I was the first to write up about it before the RF mount was even formally announced.

Mister trend watcher.

It should be stated that I haven't found an APS-C lens patent application in a while now. They have completely dried up. That should tell you something.

That's because you only searched Canon, while the trend is third party manufacturers are making the most interesting lenses for everything except RF.

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow