Canon’s future RF bodies

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,770
Re: EF-M vs RF crop

Distinctly Average wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Distinctly Average wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Trapped.... might be the wrong word. Nevertheless, when upgrading from M to RF your M-lenses can't be used on the new camera.

Same is true when you've bought ef-s lenses for your aps-c dslr.

Only EF lenses are fully compatible with both RF and aps-c dslrs. However, same is true for M. I am using my EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM and Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art on both my M50 and my R, and these lenses are really useful on both systems. So aps-c dslr and M are in the same boat, really. A lot of people don't realize this as they find EF lenses to big to mount on the compact M system, whereas with aps-c dslr it isn't going to be compact anyway. This doesn't take away the fact the upgrade path compared to coming from ef-s isn't less compatible than coming from M.

Not quite the case EF-S lenses will fit on an RF mount camera with the existing adapters. The camera sees them and switches to crop mode. TS-E MP-E work as well.

That all EF, TS-E, MP-E and EF-S lenses are supported by the RF mount is excellent, facilitating the incorporation of an RF-mount camera into an existing Canon kit. While EF-S lens are not typically optimal for full frame cameras, the adapter accepts these lenses and the R-series cameras automatically switch to crop mode with such in use.

Given the inherent design

There wasn't any additional design needed as there's no flipping mirror in the way in a mirrorless camera.

There was, especially on the software side.

of RF allowing EF-S suggests that at some point during RF planning and design stages, EF-S was considered and the possibility of using crop sensors on that mount.

I consider the possibility to mount ef-s on RF as a stop gap for cropped video modes, and nothing more than that. In my opinion you just bought the wrong camera or the wrong lens when you want to use crop glass on a full frame sensor. For video you should have bought a camera without the crop limits or a more affordable aps-c camera, and for stills your wasting your expensive sensor surface and resolution on a too cheap lens.

But you're right, it can be done, so there's a difference.

I grew that is is a stop gap. However having crop sensors in RF bodies is also another option and one I hope Canon will do. I cannot see them giving us the same pixel density and speed that a 32mp crop sensor could provide. That would be an 83mp FF, a shed load o f data to process and a sensor that would no doubt be expensive to produce. Currently as density increases failure rates do too. So a wafer yields more crop sensors of suitable quality at APS-C than it ever could at FF.

Probably Canon isn't decided yet if they will do it, however, there are some around here being able to predict the future in this regard.

Al I know is the 1DX III was a dslr.

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow