Panasonic/Olympus power usage

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,344
Panasonic/Olympus power usage

Back in 2012 not long after the E-M5 came out someone on this forum used a device to measure the power draw of the E-M5 under several conditions. The result in the order of least power used to most (of the things he tested) was like this:

1. Turned off. (no power used)
  2. Sleep mode. (small amount of power used)
  3. Live view rear screen.
  4. Live view EVF.

The Olympus and Panasonic manuals confirm 3 and 4 since they indicate you get slightly more shots if you use only the rear screen vs. using only the EVF.

I recently bought a GX7II (GX85/GX80) and it allows something that my PEN-F, E-M10II, E-M10, and E-M5 do not allow. I can set it so that until the eye sensor detects me close it will turn off both the EVF and the rear screen. Another choice that it allows that my Olympus cameras can also do is until the eye sensor detects me close it will turn off the EVF and on the rear screen it will display the On-monitor recording information (Panasonic) / Super Control Panel (Olympus). With those 2 options I am guessing that 3 and 4 below fit in like this:

1. Turned off. (no power used)
  2. Sleep mode. (small amount of power used)
  3. EVF and rear screen both off, but not in sleep mode.
  4. EVF off, rear screen has On-monitor recording information display.
  5. Live view rear screen.
  6. Live view EVF.

Am I right? Does anyone know? I assume that in 3 above that with both the EVF and rear screen off (but not in sleep mode) that the amount of power being used is probably only slightly more than sleep mode and much less than 5 and 6 live view, but that is just a guess. Anyone know?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow