Why no more GM1?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeeter001 Regular Member • Posts: 198
Why no more GM1?

Despite its frustrating trade-offs such as not enough physical function buttons, no EVF, and constant unintentional pressing of soft buttons, I am really enjoying the point-and-shoot pocket-ability of a GM1 recently purchased.

Even after looking at online sizing charts, I was still surprised how tiny it is when I first got it. The smallest Olympus (I believe) are the E-PM1/2 models and they look almost a full size bigger (albeit with IBIS). The GX850 is a full size+ bigger. The GM1 is about the same size as the Pentax Q, the famous tiny 1/2.3 ILC (and possibly smallest ILC ever). For an M43 sensor, it seems like a marvel of engineering, why did Panasonic stop making them?

I would not get a camera this size as a main unless my need called for extreme portability, but it's a wonderful adjunct body to have for a "micro-kit" or point-and-shoot replacement - a point-and-shoot where you get to use lenses you already have. The inexpensive small Pan kit and tele lenses, and a couple small primes, have OIS so there is stabilization from 12 to 150mm with lenses that look reasonably sized and well balanced on the GM1. With that coverage, trading-off IBIS for size seems worth it.

Will an M43 camera body this size ever be manufactured again or has this market segment been written off for some reason?

If not, I wonder if due to being smallest in class and its simple good looks the GM1 will hit "classic status" and maintain or appreciate value (as the GM5 seems to be, selling now used for more than a new G85!).  But I would love to see a manufacturer make something this diminutive again.

Jeeter001's gear list:Jeeter001's gear list
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +29 more
Panasonic G85 Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow