Z 50 AFA tracking - A contrarian view

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Lumsden
David Lumsden Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Z 50 AFA tracking - A contrarian view

Most of the Z 50 users on this forum seem to dislike the tracking function as compared to 3-D tracking in the Nikon DSLRs. I disagree. I recently moved from the D 7500 to the Z 50 and find the tracking function to be at least comparable if not superior.

Most of the complaints seem to be centered around the use of the OK button to identify a tracking subject. I find this to be a more natural way to invoke tracking than to have to go to the menu to change my AF mode to 3-D, and, more to the point, I find the use of AFArea to be liberating in several ways. I set my User 1 to AFArea/AFC and use it intuitively in three ways:

1. For tracking, I honestly think it performs as well as 3d tracking did on my D7500. Just hit the OK button and you’re good to go.
  2. For street/portrait, the face/eye detect is a blessing (without any change in the setup).
  3. For landscape/portrait, I drop a tracking point on my subject and then recompose to my heart’s content. Better than Back Button Focus on my D7500.

My only real complaint is that the only way to disable tracking once it has been invoked is to hit the zoom out/? soft button on the touchscreen, which is a hit-or-miss proposition. My somewhat clunky workaround is to assign the zoom on and off function to the AF/AE button on the back of the camera, since I no longer need to do a back button focus.

Heresy, I know.

David Lumsden's gear list:David Lumsden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus Air Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow