SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,205
Re: No wonder Sony did not bother...

SQLGuy wrote:

Philnw2 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Johann Kruger wrote:

Brian_Smith wrote:

Jonneymendoza2 wrote:

As in, bothered to produce a bigger upgrade spec on the A9mk2!!

BOth the D6/1dx3 are a let down spec-wise!

I cant blame sony for just doing small updates on it as they probably knew the 1x3/d6 would barely be a upgrade to the previous version of those cameras(which the original A9 already blew away)

All these cameras are aimed at sports photographers and photojournalists who don't want more than 24mp. Larger files simply slow down the workflow.

Sony a9 II would have been a huge upgrade had Sony not released firmware 5.00 & 6.00 updates to a9. I would not be surprised to see significant firmware updates for a9 II over the coming years.

Nice. It's cheap to do a zip file. We all appreciate it no doubt. However with MILC sales falling I doubt Sony is motivated to develop MILC products much further.

All camera sales are falling. DSLR sales are falling faster. High end stills cameras, compact video cameras, and accessories are still quite profitable. What is your suggestion?

Actually, Nikon and Canon are caught in an awkward situation, making a transition from DSLRs to MILC but still having to support teams working both types.

Nikon probably will continue to support both. I'm thinking Canon's going to go all-in on mirrorless. They've already officially announced a 100% focus on RF lenses.

For Sony, I would love to see them just slow down, e.g. move new camera releases to every 3 years instead of every 2. Work with their customers more to solve existing problems before jumping to a brand new model. Get publicity from releasing new firmware rather than releasing new models.

I would like that, too, but I don't see it happening. Their strategy seems to have settled on profit from selling new bodies, and they do seem to use firmware features to push customers to a new model.

I doubt that's their strategy, and to the extent it may ever have been,I think we saw a shift away from it with the a7iii.

Since the lens lineup has filled out, Sony's strategy appears to me to be system based. They can afford to make less on the bodies if the lens lineup is sufficiently attractive and profitable. And increasingly that appears to be the case for them.

My A7rII is 5 years old now, happy with it, but i would pay for firmware to release focus modes that its capable of. IMO, thats how you build customer loyalty - continue support of your customers. Slowing down production of new models to every 3 years or longer would also give Sony time to solve ergonomic problems. I'm not asking for miracles - just work with your customer base more.

I don't get the impression the loyalty of existing customers is that important to Sony. They seem to have a much higher priority on attracting new customers.

I've seen evidence that suggests their priorities are divided (more or less equally) between retaining users and attracting new ones.

What is certainly true is that their focus has been on expanding the FF market more than on "poaching" users from other FF brands.

Hold some focus groups in different countries before jumping to a new camera design. It doesn't mean a company can solve every problem, but customers appreciate being listened to. Getting off soap box now I may be wrong, but i have the impression that Fuji does this better than other photography mfrs.

For the A9II it seems they certainly did that with pro Sports shooters.

Yes, they did that.

I'm also aware that they have run similar activities for other models and segments. The fact that you or I or Philnw2 were not specifically and personally involved is not a reason to suppose it didn't/doesn't happen.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow