Canon’s future RF bodies

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,208
Re: Canon’s future RF bodies

Distinctly Average wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:.

If the 7D was so popular, why hasn't Canon updated it in 6 years? I'd wager most of those folks switched to the 5D series in that time. The reality is the overlap of people who want to shoot crop and can afford high end bodies and big whites is vocal but small. I don't think Canon is dumb... if the market made sense for them to serve they would serve it.

As Bordshooter says, you obviously have no idea of the demographic the 7D2 is targeted at. The 7D2 is still selling well here in Europe, and to people who have plenty of money to afford whatever kit they want. If you did get out and about amongst this group you would see just that, people who are using £1000 RRS tripods, always the latest versions of their big whites and all driven to site in high end cars. These are either people with six figure salaries or retired folk with huge pensions. Most will have more than one body, often a 1DX and a 5D4. It simply is not about money, which is what you seem to believe. It is about having the best tool for the task. Canon have always provided that and despite advertised specs not being standout, Canon cameras have always been superb at their job, and why people will spend more money with Canon if they continue in that vein.

Well as Birdshooter said the 7D2 is still selling well, and by your data these folks have multiple bodies and no qualms about dropping five (or even six!) figures on their camera kits. Assuming the R5 has 7D grade weathersealing, why can't these folks just use one of those in crop mode? I'm sure they'd be happy to have the functionality of the 7D, 1D and 5D all in one body, which it sounds like the R5 will have.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow