Fast 35mm primes for Sony -- don't like the options

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Foolish Regular Member • Posts: 292
Fast 35mm primes for Sony -- don't like the options

Hello folks-- this is a question about the quality of the 35mm prime lens options for a Sony a7iii...

I've been on a bit of a photography hiatus (~3 years), and before, I was shooting exclusively with a Canon 5D + 35 1.4 L. Loved the combo. Loved having just one fast prime lens -- it suits my style.

So I recently picked up a secondhand Sony a7iii and grabbed the 35 2.8 for now. I've been reading reviews of the 35mm fast prime options for this Sony system, and I'm not super thrilled with any of them. I'd prefer to stick with native lenses, but it's poooossible I could be convinced otherwise.

• The Sony 35 2.8 that I grabbed for now is nice, and I'm not unhappy with it, but I prefer to shoot wide open a lot, and this lens doesn't get me there.
  • The Sony Zeiss 35 1.4 looks nice enough, but it's enormous (heavier than my Canon 35 1.4 mk i, bigger too?), and optically I'm not sure it's a $1500 lens?
  • The Sony 35 1.8is extremely attractive size- and price-wise, but I've been looking at a bunch of images taken with it, and the bokeh wide open is... ugly? Why? Very frustrating
  • I'm actually considering the Sony 24 1.4 GM -- of course it's wider than 35, but I have only read absolutely GLOWING reviews about it. It's smaller and significantly lighter than the Sony Zeiss 35 1.4, which does matter to me, and optically better(?).

These choices are honestly making me think I should just learn to love the 24mm focal length as much as I love the 35 -- maybe grab the 24 1.4 GM (and just keep the 35 2.8).

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on all of the lenses above, especially that 35 1.8. Why is the bokeh so ugly? Is it always ugly, or just sometimes?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow