What's the point of upscaling?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 548
What's the point of upscaling?

In Fuji's X100 series, digital zoom causes the image to be cropped to a FOV similar to 50mm or 75mm equivalent.

Until here, there's no problem with me.

But when the image is taken, my understanding is the camera would 'upscale' the cropped image to the sensor's native resolution (24 or 26MP) before saving it.

Upon pixel peeping, one certainly would not expect the cropped image to be of similar quality to images taken through a 50mm or 75mm-equivalent lens, as there's no magic here. It's basically a slightly 'zoomed in' photo, i.e. of lower resolution.

So here I am just wondering:

1. What's the point of upscaling? (In other words: what would happen if Fuji just leaves the image at say 12 or 6 MP resolution?)

2. How's the upscaling done? (Does the camera make up new pixels around tbe current ones? Does it make the current pixels look bigger? Or what?)

Sorry for not being able to get my head around these 2 issues!

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | Fujifilm X-E3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | XF18-55mmF2.8-4 | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow