Buy a new 300mm PF or keep the old 300 F4 AFS?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Keoghan Junior Member • Posts: 29
Buy a new 300mm PF or keep the old 300 F4 AFS?

Spent over a week debating this in my head and i just cannot decide ...

The Nikon 300mm PF is currently available locally for 0% interest which has tempted me as finance makes it easily attainable. Currently i have the Nikon 300mm F4D afs, it's great condition.. lack of rear element and no vr are a slight drawbacks in the long run.

I use it on a D850 so the cropping ability really takes 300mm a long way, however a PF with VR would open up many more shots, mainly when the light is poor which is quite often in the uk!

I have read reviews from people who have owned both and many seem to prefer the older 300mm optically- bokeh, sharpness above 5.6 - i have viewed 3 different websites that have also (apparently) confirmed this through testing- although its mentioned the PF is sharper wide open. I never consider this gospel, but it seems to be a theme.

After lugging a 200-500 around America last summer i wont be doing it again! A 500mm PF yes .. but thats not 0% interest haha!

Is the 300mm pf consistent? Ive seen some complaints about blurring at low shutter speeds with the vr below 1/200th - apparently this was a firmware issue (feel free to correct me here). I have also read a few reviews where the bokeh is slightly odd and even focus hunting - surely it wont hunt at f4 in good light? The problem online is i never know the ability of the reviewer, not in a horrible way but when i was a newbie naturally i didn't get the most out of my lenses- we all start somewhere.

I'm rambling now so - Should i upgrade to the 300 PF and take the jump into lightweight chinese assembled glass.. OR get another dedicated body like the d500 or z6 (in body stabiliser) for the older well rounded Japanese 300mm?

All Opinions welcome! Thanks!

(Please no silly comments, just normal friendly people!)

Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow