Your input Sony A9 vs A9II now that some time has past?

Started Feb 15, 2020 | Discussions thread
HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,974
Re: Your input Sony A9 vs A9II now that some time has past?

dcstep wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

dcstep wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

Only tried the a9 casually, but I have noticed on Fred Miranda that some people seem to be upgrading for af reasons. One potential advatage of the a9ii is that it could receive a couple of more years of firmware updates that have made a big difference so far

There's no AF advantage to the a9II vs the a9.

are you sure?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1620942/5

https://m.dpreview.com/opinion/5179774637/the-a9-ii-is-a-camera-sony-had-to-make-but-they-didn-t-make-it-for-you

There are a few useful refinements though, some of which are courtesy of the new Bionz X processor: autofocus speed and precision have been improved, likewise face detection, and EVF responsiveness. A new mechanical shutter with a rated lifespan of 500,000 cycles brings faster mechanical shutter shooting (now up to 10fps), and the a9 II benefits from the ergonomic tweaks and improved weather-sealing introduced in the a7R IV. Image stabilization performance has also been slightly increased, from 5EV in the a9 to 5.5EV, and battery life has increased by around 6% (CIPA).

Maybe not, since I only use the electronic shutter and native lenses with my a9.

Without an electronic speed reading, I cannot sense a difference. If there is a difference, I'd love to see someone measure it. I'll bet that it's in the realm of micro-seconds, with a lens like the FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS.

We don't know what is going on behind the scene. Maybe quicker acquisition and more thorough calculations for the AF-tracking internally, something you won't see by simply looking at the square getting green or not.

HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow