Switch from a6500 to a6600... and maybe back again. Anyone else?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jimkohn Regular Member • Posts: 486
Switch from a6500 to a6600... and maybe back again. Anyone else?

I’ve had my a6600 for about three weeks now. And while there’s no doubt that the new tracking autofocus is impressive I’m wondering if, all told, it is worth the price of the “upgrade”for me. I shoot primes, no video. Weight is a really big issue for me (and for my camera gear) so I try to shave every last ounce if possible. So for me it is significant that right out of the gate my rig gained three ounces by switching from a6500 to a6600. Not huge but noticeable. I lost the built in flash which, again, is not a huge deal. I also lost the panorama mode which is a slightly bigger deal. I gained an extra function button, the bigger battery, and the biggie is the focus tracking. The bigger battery is nice but I never shoot enough in one day that battery life would be an issue. I admit that at times I have carried an extra battery just in case, but rarely. Bottom line is that I’ve traded away a few features and about $1,000 for the new autofocus. I love it, but I don’t use it all the time. (I might use it more if we could set the spot meter to follow the focus point in tracking, but probably not that much more.)

I am still within the return period and I’m thinking about sending back the a6600 and sticking with my a6500. I’m wondering if anyone else may have had the same thoughts. I understand these are just my quirky preferences. I can imagine for people with different priorities, especially video shooters, there would be more value in the upgrade.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

I’m no photographer, I’m just a camera enthusiast.

jimkohn's gear list:jimkohn's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dht
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow