Rokinon vs Rokinon vs Rokinon vs Rokinon

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
Rokinon vs Rokinon vs Rokinon vs Rokinon

There are 4 choices of 14mm EF mount Rokinon lenses and 3 are f2.8

There is an IF ED UMC for $309 with a lot of positive reviews and seems to be the most popular

There is what appears to be the identical lens with a chip that gives focus confirmation and AE, WB etc but still MF. That's a few bucks more for $340 and far less reviews but for the short money it seems to be a bargain.

Then there is one without the alphabit soup suffixes that says it's autofocus for $600 and even fewer reviews

Last one says SP 14mm but no suffix letters and a little bit faster at f2.4 for $800

Can anyone highlight for me relative merits/cons of each please? I see the SP is pretty heavy and MF. Will I see a large improvement of one or two of the higher cost lenses over the two cheaper ones? The lowest cost one has most reviews and apparently more popular.

The Canon version is out of my current budget for a 14mm prime but it sure looks nice.

My primary use for a lens like this for landscape with an eye towards astro pics someday. I am planning on getting a Canon 16-35 f4L IS for my 5D4.

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow