Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,706
A bold idle thought about R6

The rumored specs for R6 are as follows:

• 20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
  • IBIS
  • 12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
  • 4K @ 60p
  • New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
  • June 2020 launch (We think a May announcement)

https://www.canonrumors.com/whats-next-from-canon-in-2020/

Now that R5 has been officially confirmed, this R6 is bit of a head-scratcher in that the fps specs are awfully high, which means it cannot be housed inside a low-end body (not enough rigidity or inertia), yet it must be significantly lower-end than R5 (otherwise it has no reason to exist).

Which makes me wonder: what if this rumor is actually about an APS-C body?

Suddenly, all the other lines in the spec sheet fall in place. This would be exactly the feature set expected from a 7D II replacement, right down to the pixel count. (As a reminder, the 7D II had 20.2mps.) The positioning within the RF lineup is also no longer in question: this is going to be the flagship APS-C body, and not meant to replace the R or RP. It also explains why EOS M5 was not refreshed alongside M6 last year: it’d be too close in product concept to a high-end APS-C RF mount body.

One may counterargue that the newest APS-C sensor from Canon is 32mps, not 20. However, if this 20mps part of the rumor is correct, it’d be a brand new sensor regardless of whether it’s APS-C or full frame. (The only modern 20mps sensor Canon has is in the super-expensive 1D X III, and I doubt they’ll recycle that sensor in such a low-end body).

I have zero evidence to back up this idea. But doesn’t it make sense?

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +9 more
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS-1D X Ricoh Caplio R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow