EM1 MKiii - Buying a new camera / upgrading / not

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Velocity of Sound
Velocity of Sound Contributing Member • Posts: 899
Not all about printing

muljao wrote:

I do wonder though. A lot of people are talking about the high res mode. How many people actually print that big?

You already got a few answers that it's not all about printing, but I figured I'd contribute my thoughts.

My "other camera" is a GFX 50S, a 50-megapixel camera.  Fuji also makes a 100-megapixel camera in that system.  I like the 50-megapixel files for a few reasons.

First, my #1 usage for my photos has become computer desktop backgrounds.  I have two 27" "retina" screens, which are actually larger and more demanding than my usual print size.  Images from the Olympus can cover it (5K demand is 5120x2880, 20-megapixel Olympus files are 5184x3888) but you're basically viewing at 100%, which is workable but reveals flaws very easily.  By comparison, the 50-megapixel files have a lot more play (8526x6192).  The images just look more pleasing on the screens, more easily.

#2 is something I'm still getting used to: cropping capability.  I'm a "get it right in the camera" kind of person, but I have to admit that it's amazing to be able to crop what feels like half of the photo out and still have an image with greater resolution than the E-M1 MkII's 20-megapixel files.  Some of the 100-megapixel shooters suggested that the insane cropping capabilities means you can take a single shot and turn it into multiple, unique photos, which is probably true.

Otherwise, as far as prints go, I agree - most of us (including me) probably aren't printing large enough to see the difference.  I'm not sure I even see a huge difference with large prints made between my old 10-megapixel E-3 and my 20-megapixel E-M1 MkII, although I admit I haven't done a head-to-head test.

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Arn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow