firmware 3.0 is out!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,313
How new subject tracking behavior works

Just loaded the firmware on my Z7 but kept my Z6 to the previous version to compare the behavior. Here's my observation of the subject tracking behavior differences:

Previous irmware:

1. Press OK to get the subject tracking square
  2. Use the joystick to move the tracking square to the subject you want to track
  3. Either press OK or AF-ON/shutter half-press to start tracking what's under the tracking square
  4. If you release AF-ON/shutter half-press, the tracking square will still track the location of the subject on the LCD/viewfinder but wont be focusing. If you press AF-ON/shutter half-press again it'll start focusing what it's been trackingon the screen (your original subject).
  5. The only way to reset the tracking square to the center is by pressing OK again (or by pressing the LCD to move it).
  6. The only way to leave the subject tracking mode is by pressing the Zoom Out button.

New firmware (differences vs previous firmware in bold):

1. Press OK or your assigned Fn button (two Fn buttons on camera or an Fn button on lens) to get the subject tracking square
  2. Use the joystick to move the tracking square to the subject you want to track
  3. Either press OK or AF-ON/shutter half-press to start tracking what's under the tracking square
  4. If you release AF-ON/shutter half-press, the tracking square will no longer track the subject on the LCD/viewfinder and it will return to the position you originally set it to in step #2. If you press AF-ON/shutter half-press again it'll acquire whatever subject is now under the tracking box rather than what was acquired when you first pressed AF-ON/shutter half-press.
  5. The only way to reset the tracking square to the center is by pressing OK again (or by pressing the LCD to move it).
  6. You can leave subject tracking mode by by either pressing the Zoom Out button or by pressing the Fn button you assigned to subject tracking.

Note that in both versions you can also start subject tracking mode by pressing anywhere on the LCD, which starts the tracking mode, places the tracking square where you touched, and begins tracking the subject under that square on the LCD/viewfinder. However, if you start tracking this way the camera will continue to track the subject on-screen even if you release AF-ON/shutter half-press, so the new version's behavior of returning the tracking square to its original position when releasing AF-ON/shutter half-press does not occur if you initiated tracking via the touchscreen.

Hope I got that right

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
S I
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow