Canon’s future RF bodies

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,717
Re: Canon’s future RF bodies

David M. Anglin wrote:

While I have looked at the X-T3 and would probably add a 7dIII to my kit if available, I can understand why Canon might move away from APS-C. The yields have improved significantly on FF fabs and my guess is that the cost basis has narrowed to the point that Canon believes it can hit the lower cost price points of Rebel like cameras.

The problem with this narrative is that, even assuming yield to be 100%, a full frame sensor has a silicon cost about TEN TIMES that of APS-C, due to the number of sensors that can be carved out of a single silicon wafer. (In an ideal world the silicon cost would be 2.56x for FF. The reason it isn’t is that a silicon wafer is more or less round, and you can’t use the extreme corners, meaning you lose a lot of corner silicon when you try to carve out full frame sensor.)

This is a geometrical limitation, not an electronic or fab technology issue, and consequently there isn’t much Canon or anyone else can do about it.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40848624

So no, I do not believe that APS-C and full frame have similar costs at all.

What I may be able to believe is that the reason there is no APS-C RF is that Canon thinks ILC market is going to shrink to a point where it’s high end or nothing, in which case intermediate products like APS-C is going to be squeezed out of the market altogether. But I doubt that, too, given the obvious amount of effort they put into developing the EOS M6 II sensor.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow