Need for Speed: A9 - mark 1 or 2

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 807
Need for Speed: A9 - mark 1 or 2

Its that IRS refund time of the year, and...

Maybe its just me, but it feels like my A7iii, whose AF I bought into being inspired if not powered by the same AF system in the A9 (which I thought was so fast - compared to any AF system I had ever used before) these days seems really slow. I didn't notice it get slower with the firmware 3.0 realtime eye-AF... but I wonder...

Here is what I did, I compared some focus acquisitions of some random objects near min focus distance and far away, back and forth and I repeated the same experiment with the A7iii and with the same lens (FE 35/1.8) on a Sony A9

Perhaps this is no newsflash: A7iii AF acquisition times can be counted (the gap between AF ON press and green squares C-AF acquisition, is not long, but it can be counted. Tik-tok. Whatever. At least a quarter second. Eons...

Trying the exact same thing with an a9, and the gaps disappears. AF-ON equals Focus acquisition sqaures. Bang-on. Zzzzt. Virtually instantaneous. Motorcycle acceleration.

I guess it stands to reason that for that engine to run at 20 fps acquiring focus on each frame, it has to have twice if not more than twice the computational horsepower. This A9 Turbo Carrera performance makes my A7iii feel like a tricked out Honda Civic.

I am not much of a birder, but my use case appreciates AF performance. Photographer and subject walking towards each other and a spray of AF-lock and continuous drive shooting. I am likely to lock focus earlier in the sequence, not to mention, drive it at twice the speed as before.

I guess the question before me is whether to splurge on A9ii or enjoy what is legendarily pretty much the same AF prowess in the A9. If anyone has the A9ii that had A9, and wants to wax rhapsodic about how much better it is, I would appreciate the experiences.

-- hide signature --

https://www.instagram.com/thiefofpresence
Sony A7iii; Sony RX-100m7 | Rokinon AF 18/2.8; Sony FE 24/1.4 GM; Sony FE 35/1.8; Samyang AF 85/1.4; | Tamron 28-75/2.8; Sony FE 24-240; Sony FE 200-600 G

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a9 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +4 more
Sony a9 Sony a9 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow