Paper question (permajet inkjet paper)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Emmanuel Diver Contributing Member • Posts: 575
Paper question (permajet inkjet paper)

So up until now I've been using simple kodak photo plus a4 paper at 280gsm and decided to dip my toe into something more. For want of a better word Pro papers. I went with permajet and got their test pack 1. Their inkjet papers. This had 9 different papers with 3 pages each. I'm just using a simple HP envy 6230 with their instant ink and I'm printing a4 for the wall and 6x4 5x7 and 10x8 for family albums. Anything bigger gets outsourced.

This question is sort of aimed at permajet users but also folks in general. There are a few papers there that I just don't understand the use for. They would be the much larger grain papers such as ultra Pearl which almost feels like u160 sandpaper. What kind of images would you even print on that paper? I printed some photos of ducks and a trip to the local reserve and it almost feels like the kind of photos my parents would have in albums from the 70s.

The ones I've settled on are the gloss 271 (the smooth gloss 271 had a warmer tone and I felt the gloss 271 was more neutral for mono). The oyster 271 (again I felt the pearl satin finish was that touch warmer), the matt 240 which has rendered my waterfowl images wonderfully. I love the tonal quality of it and not to forget the titanium lustre. Oh my word it reproduces high contrast mono photography so well. Almost back lit. I also like the photo lustre 320 paper as it gives a good richness to blacks. Putting some of the images I printed next to the kodak paper was night and day.

At any rate I guess this is part review and part seeking knowledge. Where can I find a "print x photos on y paper" resource? I know it comes down to personal preference and ultimately I've picked the papers I want to use going forward but would like folks thoughts.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/mannydee
www.pentaxphotogallery.com/emmanuelmdiver

Emmanuel Diver's gear list:Emmanuel Diver's gear list
Pentax K-7 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow