Why keep both the d850 and d500?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,845
Why keep both the d850 and d500?

I have both the d850 and d500, but lately I have been using the d850 most of the time.  Does it make sense to keep them both?  All my lenses are full frame.  When I do birding with my Nikon d850 with the 500 f4.0 e lens and 1.4eIII converter it seems to be adequate at a focal length of the 700mm.  If I need more I go to the 1.2 crop to get me to 840mm which is about as much as I ever need and this still gives me around 31 mp's on the sensor.

I really haven't seen much difference in the auto focus between the two cameras with possibly the d500 being just a hair better.

I never use anything but the d500 for anything besides birding and the d850 does all the other types of photography.

I would like some opinions based on other people views that have used both cameras.  Should I keep both cameras or put my money on a better quality lens than what I have?

Thanks

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Zeiss Milvus 18mm F2.8 +6 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow