Safari lens opinions

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
kayaker353 Senior Member • Posts: 1,124
Re: Safari lens opinions

In2009 my wife and I took a safari to northern Tanzania.  My experience may not be relative to your destination, however, I took a Canon G10(equivalent focal range 28 to 140mm) and a D300 with the original 80 to 400 lens.  I thought the combination worked well, continuous focal length from 28 to 600mm equivalent.  No lens changes.  If going  tomorrow, I would take a D800 with 24 to 70  and a D810 with the second generation 80 to 400.  This would give me good focal length coverage on high resolution bodies.  These are items I currently own.  If going in a month or so, I would look at one or two Z7's to replace the D800 and possibly the D810.  A longer zoom might be desirable, but I am unwilling to spring for one.  A 500 PF is a lens I would consider buying both for the trip and general use, thereafter.  I think that having a backup body is a must, no lens changes(or few while in camp) is a must and broad continuous focal length range is a must.  I also have an 800mm lens, but consider it too unwieldy for such a trip.

kayaker353's gear list:kayaker353's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow