P950 - More out the kitchen window

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,341
P950 - More out the kitchen window

I've been fiddling with the exposure as I was getting a lot of backlighting problems. Well today wasn't sunny so that helped. I was also trying to get a sharper image so I switched on Active Focus. Well, that was interesting.  Here are a couple with that on. The images are a little sharper I think. The Cardinal blew me away with feather detail at 1,200mm. Also feel free to pixel peep.

I also included a very long shot through the trees to see if I could grab a focus. I had to zoom in to 2,000mm until I saw the small circle. This will allow you to grab a small area, then you can zoom out to take the pic. Many of you don't know that lens light can refract around objects so you actually see the unseen. Note the sign arrows and the branches in front of it on the long shot and how they disappear when zoomed in--yes, this was not photoshopped, but how light works through lenses. The edge of a lens sees a slightly different part of the zoomed object then the middle thus "seeing" light around the branch.

Another Woodpecker (not a red head).

Female Cardinal as 1200mm. I was blown away by the feather detail, and should be a wakeup call to those of you thinking the P950 can't beat APS-C sensor camera zooms. And yes I did sharpen a little in post.

Here is a tough shot with any zoom to focus on this sign about 200 feet from the house through the window.

It can be done if you zoom all the way in until you get the small circle. Then grab the focus and zoom out some. Note the camera "sees" around the smaller branches and fills in the image.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow