Sigma 50-500 w/EM1 (PDAF), Florida wildlife~ (Pic heavy) Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
SteveNunez
SteveNunez Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Sigma 50-500 w/EM1 (PDAF), Florida wildlife~ (Pic heavy)

Just got the Sigma 50-500 in 4/3 mount and adapted it to my EM1 to see what Phase Detect Autofocus and image quality would be like at 1000mm of optical reach! The AF worked well with only a few instances of hunting- otherwise 90% of the time it locked well and fairly quickly. I didn't try tracking and just shot stationary wildlife I found around.

I'm fortunate to live in South Florida where wildlife is abundant and diverse and this combo was fun to use (although heavy)...I'm unsure if I'll use it again as my Nikon D5600 and Nikon 200-500 lens produces superior results and weighs about the same albeit with superior AF and image quality. I'd like to try out the Olympus 300 prime (or Pan 100-400) but am thinking of finally abandoning m4/3 as image quality isn't progressing with this format as well as APS-C and FF cameras are seeing. I love the idea of smaller portable lenses with m4/3 but IQ development seems stagnant with the sensor tech and it shows with the release of the EM1 III and Panasonic G9. (This topic has been beat to death in forums, but the reality is m4/3 sensor tech is dated and is falling behind rival formats.)

I hope these images help anyone considering this combo as it can show what sort of results to expect. I'm not the best wildlife photographer and I'm sure some of you can get better results with this combo but these were my results today (1st time out with this combo.)

(All handheld- no tripod or monopod.)

(The images were scaled down in PS for quick posting.)

Cheers and happy shooting guys/gals!

-- hide signature --

Steve Nunez~South Florida Artist
www.stevenunez.com
Pan G85,GF7/9, Oly EM 1, Lytro Illum, Nikon D560 -P1000 & Canon T100 Others~~

SteveNunez's gear list:SteveNunez's gear list
Lytro Illum Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +4 more
Nikon D5600 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow