No wonder Sony did not bother...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,237
Re: No wonder Sony did not bother...

SQLGuy wrote:

I highly doubt it was anything but intentional. Just as they were suddenly able to offer additional focus zones and adapted lens Eye AF in the III models, but not before then on cameras using the same processors as their predecessors.

About the only benefit of the doubt I can throw to Sony, and I think this is the likely case, is that they maybe didn't explicitly cripple anything, but simply prioritized "good enough" functionality above the cutoff lines for each release, did a bit of extra work (like adding, enabling, maybe just testing, adapted Eye AF), but then didn't prioritize any work to backport the functionality to older cameras that probably could support it.

I am guffawing at the notion that the most technologically advanced camera maker couldn't do any better than the abysmal functionality of the LA-EAx adapters. FFS, 3rd party companies have been able to get more functionality out of their adapters to non Sony glass than Sony has to Sony A mount stuff. You can be more modest and measured but I'll be blunt- it's a complete joke. Couple that with the higher than average price barrier of zooms actually worth buying and it all feels very intentional.

I can only imagine what PWPhotography would say if Canikon's first constant aperture zoom were as terrible as the 24-70/4, or any of their L primes had the QC problems of the 35 1.4 ZA. All the camera tech in the world can't overcome lenses that are either bad or unafforable. His 5 figure investment shows what you need to spend to have a comprehensively enjoyable experience in the Sony FE system.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow