Sony A7r3 set to Adobe RGB

Started May 5, 2019 | Discussions thread
neverendinglight Regular Member • Posts: 490
Re: Sony A7r3 set to Adobe RGB

RGBCMYK wrote:

Trying to wrap my head around this. Since the vast vast majority of monitors cannot support Adobe RGB, what is the point of capturing in Adobe RGB. I have my A7R3 set to Adobe RGB but I'm wondering why? My current monitor doesn't support it. I'm wondering if that has led me to some disappointing print jobs.

One reason to capture a larger colorspace is the additional editing headroom given by the larger colorspace. The potential for banding / posterization is reduced and this can become helpful with images that contain large smooth gradients. Printers for sometime have been able to print some colors outside of sRGB (not a ton but some) Even if you end up converting to sRGB I can see benefits for just the editing.

Thanks for the quick response!

But do the benefits outweigh the potential problems? Let me try and clarify. I totally understand that Adobe RGB captures more and in a vacuum has better overall color fidelity. But if I export my images from LR to Photoshop in Adobe RGB and then save the file as a jpeg right there, am I not setting myself up for potential disappointment when I go and view the images on my ipad or my friends computer? Or even when I print? Maybe the differences are negligible?

Main reason I ask is that getting a monitor/display that has full Adobe RGB support is expensive, and probably the reason most people don't have them. No smartphone that I'm aware of has full support of Adobe RGB. Just trying to figure out what the point is? Future proofing?

neverendinglight's gear list:neverendinglight's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow