GR iii - compared to my D700

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sprouty115
sprouty115 Regular Member • Posts: 135
GR iii - compared to my D700

I realize this may be a very strange comparison - but two of my favorite cameras that I've ever owned are the GR ii and my Nikon D700 FF w/28mm2.8 (2009). The D700 has been absolutely reliable for 11 years and I've always been impressed, not only with the images that it produces, but also with how well it focuses in low light and how it sets exposure. Granted it has been well-eclipsed by other cameras but I was curious how it might compare to my newest camera the GR iii.

So I grabbed both of them and did a few comparison shots. Now this was hardly exhaustive but I just wanted to see what the differences might be.

Both cameras were set to program mode at 1600 ISO. As mentioned above the D700 had a Nikkor 28mm D lens mounted. The GR had IBIS set to off. Though for the water scenes I did brace my elbows on the posts that the dock was attached to (for both cameras.)

All images were captured in RAW uploaded to DXO PhotoLab and then exported as JPGs with all corrections turned off.

D700

GR iii

D700

GR iii

D700

GR iii

D700

GR iii

D700

GR iii

D700

GR iii

The good - the smaller and newer sensor GR iii is really quite amazing. I actually thought that it wouldn't compare as well. But it really does, so I have to admit I really don't need any more resolution to produce the kind of image I like to take.

The not so good - the D700 clearly out-does the GR in terms of focus, both speed and accuracy. And there were even a few images that I shot with the GR that just didn't work, and one shot that I shot a few times that I couldn't seem to get the camera to lock properly. Granted I could have switched to manual focus, or tried a different focus pattern, but like I mentioned, this wasn't meant to be an exhaustive test, more of me just wondering about two of my (many...) cameras.

D700

GR iii

D700

GR iii

sprouty115's gear list:sprouty115's gear list
Ricoh GR III
Nikon D700 Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow