Easily changing Tv/Ap/ISO while keeping (manual) exposure constant

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alfred S Regular Member • Posts: 125
Easily changing Tv/Ap/ISO while keeping (manual) exposure constant

I usually shoot completely manual (manual Tv, Ap, and ISO).   I shoot wildlife outdoors, and set the exposure for the subject.  I don't like letting the camera choose exposure, because these subjects of course move around, to different backgrounds with different luminosities - so I'd be constantly adjusting exposure compensation to ensure the subject is properly exposed if I used auto Tv/Ap and/or ISO.

It's much simpler to set the exposure myself for the subject, using specific (non auto) Tv, Ap and ISO values.

Now one inconvenience this creates is when I want to quickly react to something that starts to move quickly (eg. a perched bird starts to fly).   In this case,  I may be shooting a shutter of say 1/250 and ISO 100.   When the bird starts to fly, I'd like to quickly change to a much faster shutter of say 1/4000, and have the ISO value adjusted automatically to keep the exposure constant (and leaving Aperture the same).   Currently I need to change both shutter and ISO myself.    With things happening so quickly and unpredictably with wildlife - that is often too fiddly to do quick enough.

On the D850, does anyone know how I could quickly change shutter, such that the ISO is automatically changed to a new (non automatic) value that keeps the exposure the same ?

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow