How do I troubleshoot sharpness issues with the Sony 200-600mm on a Sony A7RIII?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dataddict42 New Member • Posts: 6
How do I troubleshoot sharpness issues with the Sony 200-600mm on a Sony A7RIII?

Hello all, I am renting a 200-600mm Sony for the week for an industrial shoot of mining equipment at work. After two days of shooting both on a monopod and a tripod I am getting nothing but soft images. Day 1 was OSS mode 1, wide open, long end mostly, wide AF mode, ISO 800, 1/1250 sec or faster. Some of the images appear moderately sharp but do not survive any cropping without turning to mush.

The second day I pushed the ISO up a to 2500 and the shutter speed to over 1/2000, and switched to center AF. This was even worse.

I have had multiple problems in my short photography career and they have almost never been gear related, it is mostly operator error. I am hoping someone can tell me how to troubleshoot settings, etc to correct the problem.

I am using burst mode and electronic shutter. The first shot in a sequence is no sharper than the last. Also tried single shots with a remote.

Any 200-600mm shooters have some advice on where to start?

Edited to add: I am not panning or tilting during the shot when on a tripod. The tripod is not great in the stability department.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow