Traveling to Costa Rica

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HobbyJohn Forum Member • Posts: 71
Traveling to Costa Rica

Hi All,

I posted this over in the Open Talk section but someone suggested I post it here as well.
(original post-https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4467571)

I'll be traveling to Costa Rica this coming July and I'm trying to make some decisions about what gear to bring. It will be during their rainy season, though it sounds like June-July often get a bit of a reprieve from the rain.

The main purpose of the trip is NOT for photography, but since I enjoy it and may have an opportunity to see some unique wildlife, I'm considering taking some of my gear, but I've never really traveled with my camera and lenses except within the US and often to visit other family.

My gear:

• Canon 6D Mk I
  • Canon 5D Mk IV
  • 35mm f/2 IS
  • 40mm f/2.8
  • 50mm f/1.4
  • 85mm f/1.8
  • 17-40 f/4L
  • 24-105 f/4L IS II
  • 24-105 f/3.5-5.6
  • 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS II
    • (All Canon lenses above)
  • Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC G2

I'm always tempted to take it all, but I don't think that will be practical, especially with the trip not being focused on photography. I was thinking of taking the 5D with the 24-105L and 150-600, and possibly the 17-40. Those are all weather sealed, and would allow me to only carry 1-2 lenses at a time, without feeling the temptation to take more. I primarily shoot the primes, but won't want to give up all the packing space in order to take a lot of my gear. I was also considering buying a compact camera to carry around instead of the 5d for general activities, then just taking the 150-600 lens for birds/wildlife but if I'm already taking that body and lens, it might make more sense to just take 1-2 more lenses.

Thoughts on gear to take? Advice on keeping my gear safe while traveling and once there?

Thanks!

HobbyJohn's gear list:HobbyJohn's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow