Does the new R5 change your roadmap?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 3,705
Re: Nope but a RM would

Most M cameras are sold to customers using the kit lens only.

Another group of customers will buy the 15-45mm&55-200mm zooms only considering to upgrade to the 18-150 to avoid changing lenses. Remember: phones with telephoto lenses only have 8Mp sensors behind these lenses, and a full focus throw of such a lens will take 2 full seconds!  M gives reach at a reasonable IQ for a moderate price compared to phones, and i don't see phones getting so much better in the future if you want some decent AF and real Mp at telephoto focal lengths.

The smallest group of M customers will buy some primes for better IQ and low light purposes. At some point those customers might want the same IQ in there zooms. At that point you'll have to make a choice:

- do you want to stay compact and accept lower IQ in your zooms?

or

- do you accept it's gonna get bigger

With Sony you can stay with your current aps-c camera and pay a huge price premium (1300 euro) to get a standard f/2.8 zoom (no lens stabilization by the way (and don't think all aps-c Sonys have IBIS)). With Canon you can get a RF 24-105 IS USM for 1000 euro, and you have to buy a 1400 euro RP next to it. So that's 1100 euro more...... BUT,

that RP is the way to get truly better IQ, while with Sony you're paying a lot while still hitting the limits of aps-c. Those who are willing to pay 1300 euro for a standard f/2.8 aps-c zoom might be willing to pay for full frame one day anyway, and in the end those incremental upgrades will cost you more compared to jumping at once.

I am carrying 2 cameras: my M50 with one of the f/1.8 sigma zooms and the R with a prime. What happens is me changing the prime on the R when i want another focal length.

That is what happens, and that Sony f/2.8 standard zoom isn't any better than my Sigma f/1.8 zooms, especially at f/2.8.  So yes, Canon "forces" you to pay more, however, you will get what you pay for.

-- hide signature --

M for zooms, RF for primes

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow