Any way to use MIDI to trigger camera shutter remote control?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
greatzot New Member • Posts: 1
Any way to use MIDI to trigger camera shutter remote control?

I am primarily a musician and just got a MIDI foot controller for guitar-related purposes like effects and amp channels. After using it a bit, I realized I could also control various other music-related gear, including my audio interface/recording software, e.g. to start and stop recordings. After considering the many possible applications for music, it occurred to me, gee, wouldn't it be neat if I could trigger my camera to start and stop video recording at the same time as my audio via a single button press on my MIDI foot controller.

I looked around for any products that could make it easy to do this, but didn't see anything so far. I imagine you'd basically need a barebones midi interface that interprets the midi message you send to it and uses that to trigger something else that connects to the wires of the shutter remote control and gives it the necessary signals to make it think the button that used to be there is being pressed or held. The particular remote shutter control I'm using for now is a third-party imitation of a Panasonic one:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01N5CNMHV/

I did see a post about a much more ambitious use of MIDI for camera control in a 2012 post at Makezine. But that's about the closest thing short of buying a different camera whose manufacturer has already worked MIDI into their products. That post is here:

https://makezine.com/projects/midi-camera-control/

Anyone do or run across something like this? Other thoughts or ideas?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow