Z50 + ADL + LR Classic

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZapperVT Regular Member • Posts: 279
Z50 + ADL + LR Classic

I find Active D-Lighting (ADL) is very useful for producing good results in high dynamic range settings. But the big disadvantage of ADL is that only Capture NX-D rendered NEFs with ADL properly.

Apparently with the Z50 (and maybe Z6, Z7, D780 too?) that's changed. When I open my Z50 NEF files in the latest version of LR Classic, LR recognizes ADL and makes a bunch of adjustments accordingly. For example, here are the default adjustments for one image with ADL on extra high:

• Exposure: +1.12
  • Contrast: +5
  • Highlights: -60
  • Shadows: +57
  • Whites: -2
  • Blacks: -13

The image rendered by LR is not identical to the in-camera JPEG or Capture NX-D version, but is quite close. And it's clearly an improvement over the test shot I took without ADL. The highlights are better preserved, the midrange is brighter, and the detail in the shadows is more visible when ADL is used, whether rendered by Capture or LR.

Is anyone else excited by this apparently improved cooperation between Nikon NEFs and LR? I like ADL in certain situations a lot, and the inability of LR to render it has been the main reason I've continued to prefer Capture NX-D to LR when I want good pictures without making a lot of adjustments. Having Nikon and Adobe play well together over ADL is a big improvement in my mind to the usability of both Nikon cameras and Adobe LR.

ZapperVT's gear list:ZapperVT's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow