No wonder Sony did not bother...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,221
Re: No wonder Sony did not bother...

PWPhotography wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

My contention is that they are only working on those lenses for Sony FE. When- and it's definitely a matter of when, not if- they crack the RF/Z protocols, those 1.2 primes will be made for those mounts as well.

But until now E-mount is the most profitable area for Sigma.

Did they say that?

If F/1.2 lenses aren't your concern why bring them up?

Just curiosity why you are so raving about if yourself no plan to acquire them any time soon

The same reason you brought up Sigma lenses you have no need for

But Sigma and Sony will answer the challenge and will deliver those fast f1.2 portrait lenses on E-mount, no doubt about. Sigma just delivers FE 35/1.2 Art and reasonably believe they are working on 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 Art. We all hope they succeed, right?

Sure.

Until then you can get Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art at $1500 and will have discount a few months later. How much for RF 35/1.2L? Oh, only in rumor and guess will be very expensive

Yes, first party lenses cost more than third party versions. This is nothing new. And the RF 35/1.2L is just as imaginary as the Sigma 50/85 1.2 ARTs you brought up. Funny how it's only wrong when someone elsedoes it

You can get Sigma FE 24-70/2.8 at $1100 while EF 24-70L/2.8 IS costs whopping $2300, more than double

Or I can adapt EF mount 2.8 zooms and get full functionality and almost full performance

For example right now I have an old Tamron 24-70 G1 for sale on Ebay. I'll be happy to get $400 for it............. but it's every bit as sharp as the Sony GM 2.8 standard And with the nice human hand sized grip the extra 100-150 or so grams are no big deal. My R with a 70-200 2.8 is more comfortable than my A7R2 was with lenses half as heavy.

so I "believe" it is only a matter of time before all FF MILCs have access to those lenses. Sigma makes glass for EF-M and even made glass for Pentax and Sony A mount for Christ's sakes.... there's no way they are stopping at Sony and L mount.

It's difficult that Canon and Nikon have either authorized Sigma and Tamron to work on RF and Z mount lenses, or Sigma has to take time and effort to reverse-engineer the mount that no guaranteed in future compatibility as happened to EF and F mounts. It will take while for Sigma to port Art lenses to RF and Z mounts.

But at least Sigma offers alternative to OEM lenses, as good as but much cheaper.

It's a challenge but I think they can do it. For RF mount, at the absolute worst they can just launch them with the adapted EF protocol, then update to the full RF protocol later. But think they want to get everything 100% out of the gate.

Lots of wishful thinking. Adapted lenses never an ideal solution but only temporary otherwise never can match native lens AF-C tracking performance including eye-AF.

Maybe in Sony land........................

I've had my R for a few months and have used it with native and adapted glass. There's very little difference in AF performance. If there are any limitations it's on the lens (i.e. the old FE 50 1.8 style AF motors aren't as fast or quiet). But with 9 new lenses per year, and Canon's consistently high level of optical and manufacturing quality, adapter limitations will soon be a worry of the past, while Sony FE users looking for a decent 24-xx lens still have to shell out four figures, nearly 7 years into the system. When it comes to lens selection, quantity <> quality

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow