7D Mark III plus EF 400/4 DO

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RDM5546 Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: 7D Mark III plus EF 400/4 DO

If there are two sensors, one of the sensors could go at a imaging update speed than the one that is faster than the recorded data such at 120Hz and this would greatly reduce the delay. Electronic images sensor to have some delay in generating their image which is slower that the view when availbe through a pure optical path.

If the view is identical to that of the sensor and there is no image splitter then the viewfinder is collocated with that of the recorded image. I know there is one one image sensor in their chip and not two. They are using the date from the same digtial stream as the recorded image in a single lens WSYWIG mirrorless camera.

There being no sensor blackout means that the display likely has two viewable storage buffers somewhere in a silicon chip so that the old image is replace by the new image in nearly no time (maybe microseconds). Double buffering the image to be written while the other buffer is diplaying. Switching between buffers can happen nearly instantly.

Blackout free image displays are not a new invention of the Sony cameras. They have bee around in other image displays for many decades and are they are the subject of many patents not owned by Sony well known to display designers.

I am convinced that the A9 is black out free. I do doubt the image updates more frequently that the image stored because this requires a source the image other that the data image being stored.

That would quite a different story because the camera would need a place to obtain this more frequently produced image. In DLSRs, by comparison, there is only an optical path via a flipping mirror to the viewfinder. When you do see the field of the image through the lens you have a 100% current view with no electronic delays.

I feel confident in this for many reasons. Every move that you see of the subject reaches your eye in nanoseconds after the subject moved. Of course there some blackout  of the image periodically made by a mirror movement,

In the optical viewfinder case, there is approximately 1 nanosecond per foot for every foot the subject in front of the the lens.   This is caused by the speed of light in air.   This would amount 50 nanoseconds for a subject fifty feet away.

The A9 EVF has an subject image delay between nearly zero and 50 milliseconds when shooting at 20fps vary with the time in the shooting cycle.   This amount to an average delay of 25 milliseconds. When shooting at 12 fps mechanical shutter the delay would be nearly 0-83.3 milliseconds with an average delay of 41.6 milliseconds. This would be a noticeably  jerky image if the subject is moving very fast and you are using the mechanical shutter.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow