EVF eyecup or magnifier- anyone have any suggestions?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Boo Radley New Member • Posts: 2
EVF eyecup or magnifier- anyone have any suggestions?

I have rather poor vision but have been doing professional work for about 10 years, never having had issues with the OVF on DSLRs (mostly Canon FF).  I just purchased and R and even though everything is great indoors that's not the case outside.  I drove to a duck pond to test out the tracking system and found that I can barely see (or just plain can't see) the focus zone markers/tracking squares in bright conditions- and that's at full brightness with my eyeball jammed up against the EVF :).  Looking at the rear LCD was much better.

Hoodman makes a nice rear LCD magnifier/hood which I'll probably order, but it looks kind of ungainly and I'd rather not use that for portrait work, etc.  It's kind of a last resort.  The problem is I can't find an eyecup compatible with the R EVF *anywhere*- let alone one with a magnifier.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I love the EVF and want to use it in daylight, but this is a real problem for me so I have to come up with something, even if it means modifying a product for another camera.  Incidentally, I have the proximity sensor turned off and use the fn button to switch screens, so covering it up probably won't matter- I just won't be able to use eco mode.  I'm also not sure what's under the EVF hood since it's attached with two screws.  Don't know if that would void the warranty to remove them.  If Canon would let us modify the autofocus colors like they do with focus peaking, that would probably solve the problem.  Red or yellow might work a lot better.  I'm submitting that as a request on their web site, but don't expect it to happen.

Thanks for any advice!

Brian

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow