Alaska advice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
unleashthewild New Member • Posts: 9
Alaska advice

Hey everyone,

I’ll be working as a Backcountry Ranger in Alaska from May-August. When not in the field, I’ll be stationed in Fairbanks. I’ll have a few days off after each job, so I’d like to try and work my trigger-finger as much as possible. I'll have my schedule in advance, so I'll be able to plan some trips.

I plan to rent a minivan and/or utilize bus transportation to move around the state on my time off.

I primarily photograph landscape/wildlife. My longest reach is w/ a crop-sensor and 200-500mm. I am in good shape and have plenty of experience working/recreating in a wilderness environment. i.e. I am open to long hikes, overnight locations, off-trail travel, lots of elev gain, etc.

Being a college student, I’d like to keep things as low-cost as possible. I don’t generally opt for tour/guide services unless they can take me someplace that I can’t readily access.

That being said, my questions to YOU are:

What are your MUST-SEE locations? i.e. given the uncertainty of life, lets pretend that I’ll never have the opportunity to return to AK.

Are there any tours that are 100% the $$$?

What mistakes have you made in AK and/or what mistakes have you seen others make?

ANY and ALL advice is appreciated, regardless of the topic.

Thanks in advance!

unleashthewild's gear list:unleashthewild's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow