No wonder Sony did not bother...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 16,241
Re: No wonder Sony did not bother...

SilvanBromide wrote:

They might - at some point. But the fact they aren't already making them likely means either (or both) of two things:

1. The lack of an open mount spec from Nikon and Canon makes it a high risk strategy where they would have to rely on reverse engineering and invest undue extra R&D - which will in turn have to be reflected in the pricing.

This is what they've had to do for the dozen or so other mounts they've made lenses for. And it's not like they have to reverse engineer for every lens- they do it once and have access to the line forever.

1. The demand is not there, and/or the platforms are not mature enough to support a 3rd party ecosystem - in which case they will wait until they decide it is.

I don't see why they wouldn't be trying to crack the protocol regardless. I seriously doubt they will wait until demand is there to get started.

Regardless - and whether you'd care to acknowledge it or not - the burgeoning 3rd party offerings for Sony E and the absence, so far, of 3rd party lenses for Z or R means something.

Yes, I think it means that when a system gets a 4-5 year head start it's going to be more mature than brand new systems. That doesn't mean the new systems are not viable for 3rd party stuff.

Let's not forget that the first non Zeiss AF FE lens was... I want to say the Samyang 50 1.4? Which came out nearly 3 years after the A7 launched. They already have an RF AF lens. Sigma & Tamron's first AF FE lenses came out even later. So Canon RF is already well ahead of where Sony was at this point as far as third party support goes, and I'm sure that will continue for the RF and Z systems.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow