Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 9,652
Re: Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

A real technology competition.

• new developed (40 MP ??) sensor - maybe higher DR and less noise?
  • PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting
  • higher end video features

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

I can still switch. All I have is a Batis 85mm and adapted lenses. Sonys weak support for the A-mount lenses, means I have little incentive to stay.

What I would be interested in is, how good is the AF, and how bad is the banding/distortion looks using the silent shutter.

We all have different situations. I moved from Canon FF DSLRs, no any Sony A-mount history.

1. I found no reason to switch back if all spec of this R5 is true and work fine.
  2. Still don't know if Canon captures up DR that is a huge part?
  3. Still don't know how its AF-C tracking work? Until now, not as good as A7r-series, no mention A9-series.
  4. I have all lenses needed from Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Zeiss. I don't have much desire for those super-fast f1.2 portrait lenses or gimmick 28-70/2.0 zoom. There are no Sigma Art, Tamron, Voigtlander and Loxia lenses on RF mount yet.
  5. I don't shoot video so far, and in tradition Sony is a leader in video not Canon.

8k will be about extracting decisive moment photos

Let's wait and see, until then just tons of hype.

the sleeping giant has awoken - RF glass is world class - I have the RF 24-105 L - and it sounds like they have the R5 to make them sing

Let's wait to see if Canon can capture up DR in the new sensor and its DPAF can match Sony AI-based real-time AF-C in A9/II and A7r IV? I'd not hold breath.

Let's see if Sony takes DPReview's advice and copies Canon/Fuji colors in new bodies.

LOL, colors are very personal subjective. I have no issue with Sony colors especially in landscape that I prefer over my old Canon's one. Canon is very good in portrait skin tone nevertheless.

I always thought Sony was fine for landscapes.

Punchier and more vibrant colors, thanks much better DR. Also compared to my Canon cameras, by somehow Sony sensors are just sharper, even from 24mp A7 II and A9 compared to 5D3/5D2.

Well, at least you are honest on skin tones. I finally saw that DPReview became honest - and said Sony just needs to bite the bullet and copy canon color science on future bodies

I agree Canon skintone is likend by many especial eastern Asians as by somehow they prefer that whiten up pale look Someone said that better DR and very sharp sensors from Sony are double-edge sword that show lots more facial details and a bit less smoother. But if you shoot in RAW largely skintone can be adjusted. Since portrait is not my main shooting area so it's not that kind of critical to me.

Since I replaced original EF 24-105L IS with EF 24-70L/2.8 II years ago, I never return to super zoom.

I was never impressed with version 1 or 2 of Canon's 24-105. I am impressed with Canon's RF version - Dustin Abbott says best ever made. Nano focus, 5 stop IS, sharp across the frame and a control ring that I assign to change EC

Longer FL range, more compromise. Technically a 24-70/2.8 should be better in optical performance, plus one-stop faster.

well - it is hard to "realistically" beat the great RF 24-105 F4L at f4 with such a broad 24-105 range - pixel peeping doesn't make pictures - a 5 stop IS on a great broad range lens does

There are many fans of at Sony side as well with FE 24-105 G OSS. They are in similar sharpness from what I have seen. 24mm/F4.0 usually always has some distortion. But as I said 24mm is not wide enough nor 105mm is long enough therefore I always carry FE 16-35 GM (that used the most) and more often now FE 100-400 GM on two bodies at least, much less in lens swapping.

I have Tamron FE 28-75/2.8 that is one-stop faster but lighter/smaller and I don't miss 24mm FL

ouch - you mention it so I know it hurts not to have 24 mm -- I live at 24 mm

As I said I never miss 24mm FL as I also carry FE 16-35 GM and CV 21/1.4 Nokton. Actually FE 16-35 GM default on A7r IV, Tarmon 28-75 default on A7r III as I also carry two bodies if not 3 occasionally as I just did again in recent the Torres del Paine NP trip

great photos!

though for me, I want to carry less, have less lens changes, and always have 24mm online

I found only effective less swapping by carrying multiple bodies. Otherwise you should look super zoom 24-240mm.

In the boat tour of the Grey Glacier in the Torres park, I carried 3 sets - 16-35 GM on A7r IV, Tamon 28-75 on A7r III and 100-400 GM on A9. No lens swapping in very bumpy (so windy) and crowded small boat that will be too risky and will miss many opportunities. You see I captured so many scenes. I prepared in the Antarctic tour in the zodiac boat with the same 3 sets. It will be way too late to swap lens when a whale suddenly jumping out near the boat.

at all as I also carry terrific FE 16-35/2.8 GM.

well instead the canon has the great RF 15-35 IS and the great 2.3 LBS RF 70-200 IS - cutting an entire 1 ILB off of the sony version

the three to carry - RF 15-35 IS, RF 24-105 IS and RF 70-200 IS

RF 15-35L IS weighted 840g while FE 16-35 GM 680g, 160g difference.

but lacking 15

1mm FL translates to 160g difference. I also have CV 12mm for UWA that has beautiful sunstar and contrast. Check my Iceland photos from this lens.

RF 24-105L IS 700g, Tamrom FE 28-75 550g, 150g difference.

but lacking 24 mm, 105mm, and 5 stop IS and nano focus

Since I carry multiple lenses and even multiple bodies, such argument is moot. I'd not trust too much stop of 'IS' as this is not guaranteed. A7r IV/III also claim 5.5-stop IBIS.

RF 70-200L IS 1070g that cannot use TCs, right?

So far, no - but TC's degrade IQ

But still quite acceptable. I carried EF 70-200L/2.8 IS II with 1.4x TC III and 2.0x TC III in my last Africa safari and used the combo.

Here are 3 full-size samples from FE 70-200 GM + 1.4x TC at 280mm/F4.0 wide open on 42mp A7r III. This still will be 2nd lens on 2nd body in my next Africa safari trip as I did last time with Canon counterparts. So it can be converted to an almost 300mm/F4.0 lens that is a very useful feature.

While FE 70-200 GM can use both TCs. The forthcoming Tamron FE 70-180/2.8, 815 g, the difference is 255g.

Tamy is on a roll with those RXD's

With the excellent performance of Tamron 17-28/2.8 and 28-75/2.8, there is reasonable confidence Tamron will deliver again.

Added together, the difference between your trio vs my trio will be whopping 565g, that is quite substantial

if the tamy 70-180 was actually here, and as good, you'd have a point

In next few months. Tamron said release in Spring

The new Sigma FE 24-70/2.8 Art seems wonderful.

Canon does DLO and other lens adjustments in camera with canon lenses - many users like me are taking many photos SOOC

Sony also does the same in camera lens compensation. Personally I don't use as I only shoot RAW and only use Lr lens' profile. I don't shoot OOC JPEG, therefore your color argument is also invalid as you always can adjust in software with respective profiles.

I use to only shoot RAW. Now I shoot RAW + high jpg with in camera lens corrections and noise corrections because often the SOOC results are so good with the new Canons

Personally I only shoot in RAW. I redundant two RAWs in two slots with A7r IV and III. I sort out tons of RAW files in the FastRAWViewer (which browses RAW files as quick as JPEG) before only imported selected ones into Lr for processing.

Sony, Sigma, Zeiss, Voigtlander (CV) and Tamron lenses are also excellent. You can check what FE lenses I have collected and many don't have RF counterparts yet. Sony 135/1.8 GM blows EF 135L out of water for example.

look for Canon's RF answer this year - 9 lenses coming out

Sony has 3 years in advance. Plus third party support as E-mount is open while RF and Z mount are proprietary. Zeiss, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Samyang...contribute more and more FE lenses.

good points, but the sleeping giant is awakening

Awakening or not doesn't change the fact the open E-mount has better third-party support.

Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art is world class also and believe Sigma (and Sony as well) is working on 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 Art lenses.

Canon's RF versions are world class

Same as Sony GM lenses. Maybe we have different definition of 'world class'.

likely

Personally f1.4 lenses are more than enough to me. But I have fast MF lenses such as CV 21/1.4, CV 40/1.2 Nokton, Loxia 85 that have characters better than those EF and RF lenses while still in relative small/light format.

I'm not into manual focus

I prefer MF in landscape.

ok, makes sense

Plus native long lenses, FE 100-400 GM and FE 200-600G while waiting FE 500/40 GM. The rumored RF 100-500/4.5-7.1 although likely will be small/lighter but so slow at 500mm side @ F7.1 that is deal breaker to many especially with TCs.

but at 400 mm we don't know if it is f5.6

Wishful thinking.

nope - just watch

I have carried FE 100-400 GM into bunch of trips and used as even landscape lens which is much lighter than EF 100-400L IS II that I owned briefly.

but if the RF 100-500 is f5.6 at 400mm - isn't that a good thing?

How aperture suddenly and sharply drop from 400/5.6 to 500/7.1?

we'll just have to wait and see

I carry FE 100-400 GM more and more into even landscape type photos, as again in the Torres del Paine NP trip. Supposedly that trip should also go to the Antarctica but due to fiasco it was cancelled and I will go there again by taking cruise directly at Ushuaia, Argentina in one year. I found FE 100-400 GM is so useful. It's not that big/heavy but in a very useful FL range, very sharp and also compatible to both TCs.

Then FE 200-600 G will be used in wildlife, safari, birding type photos. But I will keep an eye on future FE 500 GM that has the best balance of 400/2.8 and 600/4.0 regarding reach and size/weight. So far Canon and Nikon have no super-tele lenses in their respective ML lens roadmap as they still want you to buy DSLRs for that purposes. Too bad two systems, two mounts (Canon has even 3rd mount in its APS-C ML, EOS-M ) while Sony has only one mount one system for all purposes.

Plus DR and resolution difference. Until now Sony sensors' DR are much better than Canon that is a critical factor to me. Also I have already enjoyed 42mp from A7r II and A7r III in years while this R5 only rumored to 40mp? Then my A7r IV has 61mp and still can shoot 10fps via mechanical or e-shutter and have deep 65 RAW buffer with the world-class real-time AF-C tracking. Wait and see how this R5 performs in DR, AF-C tracking, buffer depth etc. I'd not hold breath on such hype.

they have a new fab for the 45 mpxl - I suspect they copied sony's methods for DR - so I suspect it will be on par with DR

Let's wait and see. That is the difficult part as Sony sensor technology is much advanced.

your stuff is really good

I wish you the best on world travel - be careful, it can be dangerous

for myself I want really good with minimal load with more regional travel

Thank you. Not really. But wife and I decided years ago we cannot wait after retirement which still have long way to go but enjoy the beautiful world as much as could. The main issue she doesn't commit lots of time to me. This new coronavirus start worrying me and hope will not disrupt my planned trips in next few years - the Antarctic plus the Patagonia area in Argentina side, another Africa and Alaska safaris...

But competition is great that will push Sony returns to innovation again. I could imagine will replace current A7r III and A9 with future A9 III or future A7r V to team with A7r IV in next two years

didn't you just get 1dx mark iii ?

LOL, you are kidding I buried my Canon cameras in sand years ago, there is no return path to outdated DSLRs. I have carried A9 into even several landscape orientated trips as 2nd or even 3rd camera. Could not imagine any Canikon owners would bring their 1Dx II or D5 in similar way.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow