Expanding the RX100VI, part 1: ND

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Skalis Junior Member • Posts: 29
Expanding the RX100VI, part 1: ND

I would like to use an ND filter for long exposures in daylight. I have not yet used the camera much for video, but I would like to explore also that.

So, I got a 52mm Magfilter adapter to use with a variable ND filter I already had. While the adapter doesn't give any vignetting, the filter did. Only at 28mm (FF eqt) there is none. Total height (including the thread) of the filter is ca 12mm. The filter also gave a lot of flair so in order to solve both problems I got a 55mm B+W variable ND (XS-PRO ND-VARIO 1-5 MRC nano) and a 55mm Magfilter adapter. The coatings seem very good and the filter doesn't add much flair even with the sun in the frame. But there is still vignetting at anything wider than 28mm! The front thread of the filter is 58mm and the filter is about 12mm thick with the thread (about 9mm without).

I see that there are more expensive ND filters that seem to have lower profiles, but they are not in any shops where I live, and I am a bit hesitant to do more experiments. Has anyone else had better luck with Magfilter + variable ND? Maybe even at 52mm?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow