Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,912
Re: Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

SQLGuy wrote:

A lot of this thread is based on what others have said or speculated about Canon's announcement. I've focused on just what Canon actually said.

They said "...will fully leverage the advantages of the EOS R System to realize high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording..." Which would mean at least 33MP somewhere.

as DPReview and other sites have pointed out - 8k means at least 40+ mpxls

Other than "8K", they did not say anything else about the resolution of the camera.

your 33 mpxl is understated

They said approximately 12FPS mechanical and 20FPS electronic "...to facilitate shooting of athletes at sporting events..."

And they said it has IBIS.

If you want to read the actual release, it's here: https://global.canon/en/news/2020/20200213.html

B&H has a pre-pre-order page for it, with basically the same text as the release.

Everything else is rumors and speculation, but I still don't see how they deliver on the above

on paper -  doesn't represent pj pros shooting high action with the 300, 400, 500, 600

without seriously undercutting the 1DxIII... at least on paper.

high end sports pj's with great EF glass need OVF

the R 5 is about new great RF glass - different animal

Maybe the one benefit they leave to the DSLR is that it works better with all those expensive lenses sports shooters have invested in...

correct

just as the A99II works better with the A mount lenses, but is otherwise behind the latest Sony mirrorless cameras.

correct

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow