Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,973
Re: Canon R5 - 8 k & 20 fps camera - there we go - or not?

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

MAC wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

tqlla wrote:

joger wrote:

So we finally have it .

A real technology competition.

• new developed (40 MP ??) sensor - maybe higher DR and less noise?
  • PRO features
    • dual slot memory
    • 20 fps silent shooting
  • higher end video features

I am happy for the Canon fans we'll have finally the first interesting MILC form competition for the Sony A7R IV and A9 II

I know - there will be lots of sentiment and personal view - i view it as good competition and finally a statement to take MILCs seriously.

Personally I won't switch back to Canon - too late and too little. Now the important question: What will be the price?

What do you guys think?

I can still switch. All I have is a Batis 85mm and adapted lenses. Sonys weak support for the A-mount lenses, means I have little incentive to stay.

What I would be interested in is, how good is the AF, and how bad is the banding/distortion looks using the silent shutter.

We all have different situations. I moved from Canon FF DSLRs, no any Sony A-mount history.

1. I found no reason to switch back if all spec of this R5 is true and work fine.
  2. Still don't know if Canon captures up DR that is a huge part?
  3. Still don't know how its AF-C tracking work? Until now, not as good as A7r-series, no mention A9-series.
  4. I have all lenses needed from Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Voigtlander, Zeiss. I don't have much desire for those super-fast f1.2 portrait lenses or gimmick 28-70/2.0 zoom. There are no Sigma Art, Tamron, Voigtlander and Loxia lenses on RF mount yet.
  5. I don't shoot video so far, and in tradition Sony is a leader in video not Canon.

8k will be about extracting decisive moment photos

Let's wait and see, until then just tons of hype.

the sleeping giant has awoken - RF glass is world class - I have the RF 24-105 L - and it sounds like they have the R5 to make them sing

Let's wait to see if Canon can capture up DR in the new sensor and its DPAF can match Sony AI-based real-time AF-C in A9/II and A7r IV? I'd not hold breath.

Let's see if Sony takes DPReview's advice and copies Canon/Fuji colors in new bodies.

Since I replaced original EF 24-105L IS with EF 24-70L/2.8 II years ago, I never return to super zoom.

I was never impressed with version 1 or 2 of Canon's 24-105. I am impressed with Canon's RF version - Dustin Abbott says best ever made. Nano focus, 5 stop IS, sharp across the frame and a control ring that I assign to change EC

I have Tamron FE 28-75/2.8 that is one-stop faster but lighter/smaller and I don't miss 24mm FL

ouch - you mention it so I know it hurts not to have 24 mm -- I live at 24 mm

at all as I also carry terrific FE 16-35/2.8 GM.

well instead the canon has the great RF 15-35 IS and the great 2.3 LBS RF 70-200 IS - cutting an entire 1 ILB off of the sony version

the three to carry - RF 15-35 IS, RF 24-105 IS and RF 70-200 IS

The new Sigma FE 24-70/2.8 Art seems wonderful.

Canon does DLO and other lens adjustments in camera with canon lenses - many users like me are taking many photos SOOC

Sony, Sigma, Zeiss, Voigtlander (CV) and Tamron lenses are also excellent. You can check what FE lenses I have collected and many don't have RF counterparts yet. Sony 135/1.8 GM blows EF 135L out of water for example.

look for Canon's RF answer this year - 9 lenses coming out

Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art is world class also and believe Sigma (and Sony as well) is working on 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 Art lenses.

Canon's RF versions are world class

Personally f1.4 lenses are more than enough to me. But I have fast MF lenses such as CV 21/1.4, CV 40/1.2 Nokton, Loxia 85 that have characters better than those EF and RF lenses while still in relative small/light format.

I'm not into manual focus

Plus native long lenses, FE 100-400 GM and FE 200-600G while waiting FE 500/40 GM. The rumored RF 100-500/4.5-7.1 although likely will be small/lighter but so slow at 500mm side @ F7.1 that is deal breaker to many especially with TCs.

but at 400 mm we don't know if it is f5.6

I have carried FE 100-400 GM into bunch of trips and used as even landscape lens which is much lighter than EF 100-400L IS II that I owned briefly.

but if the RF 100-500 is f5.6 at 400mm - isn't that a good thing? The R is -6 EV at f1.4 so -1 EV at f7.1. You put a 1.4 ext on 100-400 you have f7.8. We're talking world class RF- L glass - I think it will be great with a 45 mpxl R5

But competition is great that will push Sony returns to innovation again. I could imagine will replace current A7r III and A9 with future A9 III or future A7r V to team with A7r IV in next two years

didn't you just get 1dx mark iii ?

LOL, you are kidding I buried my Canon cameras in sand years ago, there is no return path to outdated DSLRs. I have carried A9 into even several landscape orientated trips as 2nd or even 3rd camera. Could not imagine any Canikon owners would bring their 1Dx II or D5 in similar way.

"The R is -6 EV at f1.4"

No, measured at f1.2.

"Let's see if Sony takes DPReview's advice and copies Canon/Fuji colors in new bodies."

What for? Sony colors are fine. My opinion is that people not being able to get nice skin tones with Sony should learn the basics. I like Sony colors.

Besides, you guys should stop debating like in Kindergarten.

HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow