RF Teleconverters Purpose

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,990
Re: RF Teleconverters Purpose

John Sheehy wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Do we need them with the modern high resolving lenses and high megapixel camera's?

Who is "we"? That would depend on your style and where you like to take risks, and where you don't.

Us cheap people? This would be the 3rd set for me after the EF versions II and III. Another $1000 CND.

I use a 2xIII TC with my 400/4DO II on the 90D, so if there were an 83MP R camera, I'd be using the 2xIII with it also, at times. A quality TC is always better than cropping, if the TC does not degrade AF ability, and the extra tracking/jump room is not needed and you're stuck with a prime lens that can't zoom out.

I also use my 2X with my 400/DO II with good success but have not tried to compare bare lens and cropping. Tack sharp with the 2X. I’m travelling and took my 100-400 II. I have been able to BIF with the 2X and R but it is tough going.

Crop with my 5D4. Bird from bottom left.

Even after your crop, your composition is still one with a lot of environment. You may have found the composition after the shot, in which case the wider angle of view worked out for you. Had you been tracking that lower left duck well, though, you may have had even better results with a TC, if AF did not degrade. Against trees like that, it may have degraded, but against blue sky or a very distant background, maybe it would still have worked out.

I have a few dozen of what I call successful extreme crops but over a 15 year period is not a great percentage.

TC’s came out long ago. I was just curious about lens IQ that all manufacturers had to improve and high density sensors.

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow